Prest Workspace & Menu¶
Prest’s workspace is the area where all datasets (either imported from file or generated by the user through Prest) are available for analysis and/or export.
The three columns in the workspace area provide the following information about the datasets listed there:
- Name: the name of the dataset, as imported from file or specified by the user through a Prest operation.
- Alternatives/Goods: depending on whether the dataset in question is general or budgetary, the total number of alternatives or goods in that dataset is shown, respectively.
- Size: the total number of subjects and observations in the dataset.
Right-clicking on a dataset in the workspace area leads to the following options:
View: displays the contents of the dataset in a separate window (this is also done by double-clicking on the dataset).
Summary information: This option generates a new dataset that gives the following counts per subject:
- Active choices (number of times where the outside option -if feasible- was not chosen).
- Deferrals (number of times where the outside option was chosen).
The dataset that results from this operation is named after the original dataset following insertion of the “(info)” suffix. For example, applying this operation on “DatasetX” generates “DatasetX (info)”, while the original dataset “DatasetX” is also kept in the workspace.
- Consistency analysis: details here.
Export: this allows for exporting the selected dataset in .xlsx or .csv format.
Special remarks for this option:
Dataset derived from Model estimation (more details here):
- Compact (human-friendly): leaves the subject column blank in all but the first row whenever there are multiple compatible models for a given subject.
- Detailed (machine-friendly): includes subject information in every row.
Dataset derived from Consistency analysis (more details here):
- WARP violations
- Congruence violations (wide)
- Strict general cycles (wide)
- Strict binary cycles (wide)
- Binary cycles (wide)
Delete: removes the selected dataset from the workspace area.
Drop-down menu options¶
- Clear: clears all datasets from the workspace area.
- Restore from file: opens an existing Prest workspace file (.pwf) from the relevant directory.
- Save: saves the active Prest workspace file in the current location.
- Save as: allows to choose the location where the active Prest workspace file will be saved.
- Import general dataset: details here.
- Import budgetary dataset: details here.
- Quit: exits the application.
Simulation: details here.
- Prest manual: opens the embedded documentation page on the user’s web browser.
- About: opens a dialog with information about Prest’s version, copyright and license.